Everyone has that one weird food that they crave on occasion, right? I could name a LOT of things that just randomly hit me with such strong cravings that I HAVE to have them. It only happens like once every 3 or 4 months, and it's sometimes something I can ignore. But not this time. ;) Deviled Eggs have always been one of my favorite additions to holiday meals growing up. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day. My family always made them. And recently I had a craving I just couldn't ignore, so I made them myself for the first time! Kind of along the lines of my mom's recipe, and then kind of changing and adapting a few things based on a couple of recipes I found on Pinterest. And surprisingly, they weren't as hard as I thought!
So, here's the ingredients:
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tbsp mayo (I use Just Mayo or Veganaise)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp chopped & drained pickle relish
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey mustard
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 dashes hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot all the way, baby)
- Freshly ground black pepper to sprinkle on top
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. You can salt it to taste. Add your eggs. Bring the water down to a simmer and cook eggs for about 10 minutes, slowly turning them about halfway through. Drain the eggs, and transfer them to a bowl of ice water. Let sit until you can touch them without burning your hands. Peel those suckers.
- While you're waiting for your eggs to cool, you can whisk together your mayo, celery, relish, mustard & honey mustard, parsley, and hot sauce in another bowl. Sprinkle the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Halve your eggs lengthwise. Scoop your yolks into mayonnaise mixture and place your egg whites on a separate plate. Gently mash the yolks into dressing; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Once the mixture is well-combined, gently spoon the mixture into the empty egg halves.
- Top your eggs with pepper and more parsley and voila!
- I always like to refrigerate mine for a bit before eating, but you can also eat them as soon as they're done!
NOW, it's your turn to tell us! What's that weird food (or foods) that you crave?!