Is there a better way to spend a rainy day in Los Angeles than by staying in and making the most gooey, caramelized, carb-filled breakfast? While crockpot buns may not be the prettiest dish, we both grew up making them with our families, and it's something we've always said we wanted to make together! And for our first time trying it, they turned out deeeeelish! Pull apart, finger licking, melt-in-your-mouth good.
P.S. we made them vegan! Still not healthy though. ;)
So we have to share em!
- 1 can of crescent rolls
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup of orange marmalade
- 5 tbsp of unsalted butter (we use a brand that's olive oil based, so there's no dairy! I believe it's Earth Balance!)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (we use brown coconut sugar!)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- Unroll crescent roll dough and form into one long sheet, pinching together the seams.
- Soften 1 tbsp of butter, and spread the butter across the dough.
- Spread the orange marmalade onto the dough.
- Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar on top of the marmalade. Sprinkle cinnamon to taste.
- Roll up the dough tightly into a log, pinching together to keep it from falling apart!
- Cut into 6 equal pieces!
- Once roll is cut, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Place the rolls in the crockpot and cook on high for about 1 hour! We liked ours really gooey, so we took them out after about an hour and 5 minutes. If you want them not so gooey, you can leave them in up to an hour an a half!
- Once the rolls are done, whip up your orange glaze! Melt 1 tbsp of butter, and mix with 1 cup of powdered sugar, and the zest and juice of one orange! Whip together til it's smooth, and then pour on top of the rolls!
And eat them while they're hot!
J & C