I mean, do we really need a reason to make a pink dessert that can possibly be passed off as breakfast? Of course not! But if you just need to justify it, Valentine's Day is your saving grace. Surprise your honey, your roomie, your cat, or just yourself (because you deserve it!) with these pretty pink pastries!
Now, I had an idea of where I wanted to go with this recipe. I knew (and have known for 22 years...aka since I've been eating poptarts) that strawberry was my favorite Poptart flavor, that I wanted them to be puffy & flaky (again, so I can pass it off as breakfast), and that I wanted them to be pink and have a ton of sprinkles. But I based this recipe off of the "Puff Tart" recipe found on The Simple Sweet Life. And she makes some pretty cute raspberry ones, so definitely give her recipe a look as well!
- 1 box of puff pastry (thawed)
- 2 cups of powdered sugar+ 2tbsp
- 3 tbsp milk (I actually experimented & used 2 tbsp of raw milk & 1 tbsp of vanilla almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberry preserves
- Food coloring
- 1 Egg
- Sprinkles, sprinkles, SPRINKLES
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Divide each sheet of puff pastry into six rectangles (on a well-floured surface).
- Brush an egg wash over the puff pastry rectangles (just 1 tbsp of water & 1 egg whisked together).
- Spoon about 1-2tbsp of strawberry preserves onto 6 of the puff pastry rectangles (keep the preserves away from the edges of the pastry!)
- Fold the remaining six sheets of puff pastry over the ones you've just jammed up, and press down the edges with your fingers to seal them.
- Use a fork to press & seal the edges even more, so you don't have any preserves trying to escape. Use said fork to poke holes in the top of each pastry so they don't explode, and you don't get kicked out of your apartment for ruining the brand new oven.
- Place pastries on a well-sprayed baking sheet & bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While pastries are baking, whisk together the milk, vanilla, & 2 cups of powdered sugar over medium heat, until it starts to bubble. Then, remove the icing from the heat & add 2 more tbsp of powdered sugar & whisk until the icing thickens.
- When pastries are done, immediately drizzle the icing over them & top with sprinkles!
^^ignore my alien hand...I was really focused on eating.
Put your own spin on this recipe and let us know how it worked out for you! Although, you'll probably still catch me buying Poptarts from time to time, I do like that there's a really fun, easy (and at least I know what's in it) alternative!
ALSO! Want some other v-day ideas? Check out Jenna's Last Minute V-Day Craft on the blog! Because we looooove to wait til the last minute on everything.
Hearts & Poptarts,
Photos by Cortney & Tyler Moore